Understanding The Rising Eating Disorders In Australia
Understanding The Rising Eating Disorders In Australia: Eating disorder is a very serious ailment which is often not granted the seriousness that it demands. It is generally characterized by excessive and persistently disturbed habits related to eating.
Signs & Symptoms
Australians spending thousands on treatment for eating disorders has become a commonplace occurrence. The key to an easy treatment is the early recognition and diagnosis. For this purpose, the following signs should be kept in mind:
- Psychological Signs
- The individual displaying anxiety around food or meal times
- Being extremely conscious of the body appearance and along with displaying extreme concern about weight as well as food intake
- Conveying a general sense of dissatisfaction with their body
- An irritable behavior as well as being withdrawn from friends and family
- A visible loss of control over food. One example could be eating uncontrollably or consuming large portions.
- Behavioral Signs
There are also several behavioral aspects relating to eating disorders, such as:
- Exercising excessively, eating too much, or alternatively dieting too much
- Attempting to lose weight through unnatural means such as use of laxatives, or trying to be bulimic
- Trying to avoid a social setting where food might be present
- Wanting to eat alone
- Being obsessed with one’s weight, a tell-tale sign would be either weighing themselves repeatedly or talking about their weight too much
- Being secretive about food, hiding it or wanting to eat alone.
- Physical Signs
The physical aspects of eating disorders should also be kept in mind in order to recognize them:
- An individual being lethargic over a period of time. Occasionally everyone is prone to being lazy but if the behavior persists over a period of time, it is a definite cause of concern.
- Finding it difficult to concentrate
- Fluctuating weight, rapid weight gain or rapid weight loss
The reason for Australians spending thousands on treatment for eating disorders is due to the widespread diseases. They are a serious, potentially life-threatening illness and can have major physical and emotional effects. The beginning of teen years and puberty is a particularly vulnerable time period for the onset of such diseases.
For More Information & Videos Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel