Main Features of Newly Inaugurated Islamabad Airport
Main Features of Newly Inaugurated Islamabad Airport: After almost 11 years of the ground breaking in April 2007 to build the new airport, Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi today inaugurated new Islamabad International Airport. The prime minister was accompanied by the governors of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Punjab, Adviser Civil Aviation Sardar Mehtab and the Mayor Islamabad.
The airport is considered to be one of Asia’s major aviation hubs and destinations. The first flight of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) from Karachi landed at the new airport at 11 am, while the first flight of the national airline departed for Karachi at 12.30 pm.
New Airport is high-tech and fully computerized with integrated systems of international standards.
Main Features of The New Islamabad International Airport are as follows:
- Islamabad International Airport is designed by French company Aéroports de Paris Ingenierie and CPG Corporation of Singapore.
- It is built on 4,238 acres of land
- It consists of 4-level passenger terminal building within 190,370 square meters, 2 runways, taxiways, apron, parking bays for wide-body aircraft.
- There is a cargo terminal, air traffic control complex, fuel farm, as well as a fire, crash, and rescue facility. It is fully equipped to handle all types of aircraft including the new generation aircraft such as the Airbus A380, Boeing 747-8 and Airbus A350 XWB aircraft.
- It is also equipped with the latest facilities like 15 Passenger Boarding Bridges including 9 International, 5 domestic and 1 swing gate.
- 13 Remote parking Bays for aircraft including 9 International and 4 domestic with 3 additional parking stands at the Cargo Apron and 2 parking stands at State Lounge Apron for travelling passengers, state guests and other stakeholders.
- Being the first Greenfield airport, a significant portion of the land has been earmarked for the commercial purposes such as duty-free shops, 5-star hotel and convention center, branded coffee shops, business center, food courts, multifunction shopping mall, theme park, cinemas, golf course and other leisure or recreational facilities.
- Most modern Flight Information Display system is installed in domestic and international arrivals and departures lounges.
- 30 Immigration counters in international departure lounge and 40 immigration counters in international arrival lounge, 72 international briefing counters and 32 domestic briefing counters are installed.
- Car parking area for passengers has the parking capacity of 2,200 vehicles having 9 entry and 9 exit toll booths for all the international and domestic passengers.
- It has other state of art allied services like Telecom Services Building, Bachelor Officer Quarters, Medical/Trauma Center, Mosque, Civil Aviation Authority Staff Accommodation, 2 Petrol Pumps (Airside & Landside), Police Station, Security Watch Towers, Out House, Cargo Complex, Custom Cargo Building, Airport Operation Control Center GED North / Log Centre North & MT, Fire Crash Rescue Building (FCR), Satellite Fire Station, Radio Radar Building (RRB), Telecom Services Building, ASF Camp, 132 KVA Grid Station. Water Works, Sewerage Treatment Plant with separate entrances and exits.
Route To Airport:
- The airport is connected to Islamabad and Rawalpindi via the Kashmir Highway and Motorway via Thallian interchange with the link to the proposed ring road.
- A four-lane highway has also been constructed by NHA to cater cargo traffic.
- The Islamabad Metro bus project is also being expanded to connect the airport but the work is still underway on the project.
Pakistan Air Force has established a state of the art Air Traffic Control Squadron, manned by qualified controllers to ensure the smooth air traffic flow round the clock at the new airport.
With the vigorous support of PAF, CAA and the government it is hoped that this mega project will usher in a new era of prosperity of the country.
For More Information & Videos Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel